View Single Post
      09-02-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
BMWBig6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive28i M Sport

Album Art? Max capacity for USB media? 2 USB ports behave differently?

OK, the owner's manual is awfully vague (or downright silent) on physical limits of the entertainment system. I have scoured the archives but came across some conflicting information. First, it seems like the X1 stereo's internal hard drive is 80GB but only 12GB are allocated for music:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Sider View Post
The Harddisk is 80GB, but only 12GB are usable for downloading music. The remaining space is for a CDDB-DB, AddressBooks, USB-Device-libraries, and of course the Nav-Data with 3d-objects and stuff.
Only the USB port in the glove box will actually "import" music to the internal hard drive, right?

Is there a maximum capacity limit on the glove box USB port? I see references to 32GB but someone said they successfully used a 64GB USB thumb drive and another that claimed to use a 250GB USB hard drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
Not only FAT32, but the drive must be 32 GB or less.

It also won't read "superfloppy" initialized drives, where the entire drive is FAT32. Some companies deliver their thumbdrives that way, because they get slightly more room on them. If so, reformat it so it gets an MSDOS bootblock and the first partition becomes FAT32. (That's the default if you reformat it in Windows.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfillion View Post
I use a 64gb in my X1 (instead of the internal hard drive) and my 128i without any problem..... works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Sider View Post
I also can recommend a 250GB 1,8" Harddrive for the USB-Port.
Are the limits different for different year X1's (or version of iDrive)? Or do the 2 USB ports (glove box vs. center console) have different max capacities? Or are the limits different for USB thumb drive vs. USB hard drive?

I also read that only music from the center console USB port displays album art. So that means the glove box USB port or internal HD will not display album art, right?

Please share the combinations and drive capacities that have worked for you!
Favorite Former Rides: 11 Ford F-150 Limited | 09 A4 S-Line Avant / 08 Audi TT S-Line / 03 Ford SVT Lightning / 01 Ford SVT Lightning / 93 BMW 740iL / 90 BMW 535iM / 86 Porsche 944 Turbo / 83 Porsche 944

Appreciate 0