View Single Post
      06-04-2014, 11:04 PM   #5
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

A typical USB interface communicates with the mother board bus. When an action takes place the CPU directs it to happen via a particular protocol. The iDrive while a computer is kinda of dumb. So each USB port is specialized. The USB in the front and in the center console communicates directly with the iDrive. Which has the needed interface to pull the full iPod/iPhone data. Whereas the glove box USB communicates directly and only with the storage device with an interface that can pull particular files for disk storage (i.e. music, maps, etc.). These are specialized interfaces that are not compatible.

Such specialized port are not uncommon with peripheral devices. For instance, some printers can take a flash disk directly. You can put any type of data on the flash disk but the printer will only pull particular files (i.e. jpeg) to print. But at the same time you can plug a USB stick in to your computer and pull documents and images and send them to the printer. The storage device in the iDrive is similar to the printer.

Hopefully that makes some sense.
Appreciate 0