View Single Post
      03-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #13
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by poby View Post
I currently drive a 2011 wrx hatch, and I am in the same exact position as you are. I love the wrx hatch because of utility, AWD, and the performance is hard to beat for the price. I love to ski and mountainbike so the hatch for me is very useful. The things I don't like are that it is not a very good highway car to take my small family anywhere. Its very noisy on the road. I'm a young professional and have the money to get something nicer. So I have been looking at several options that would give me close to the same performance as my wrx, provide the same utility, and be better on the highway. There aren't many options. I test drove an X1 35i xdrive msport the other day. The car was probably just as quick in a straight line compared to my wrx. It really moves out. The handling is not as good as the wrx, which I expected. The steering was really heavy! I was also very underwhelmed with the interior, and size of the vehicle. The stereo was okay. I didn't care for the automatic. I got back into my wrx after the test drive and discovered how much I love my car with the five speed transmission and short throw shifter, and an aftermarket stereo nav system that is 100 times better. Unfortunately, my wife is pushing me to get an automatic so she can drive it. I've also been looking at the infiniti fx35 or fx50. That car has a better interior and looks better IMHO. The Fx35 is slower and doesn't handle as well as the bmw x1 35i. The fx50 is a gas hog, super fast, nice, but expensive. This new golf r that is coming out in 2015 is supposed to perform very well , but 40000 grand for a golf. I have a hard time doing that. The jeep srt8 is awesome, super gas hog, but very practical and fun to drive with about the same interior qualities as the x1. The range rover evoque and audi allroad seem like they will be even more uderwhelming compared to my wrx. I find my self coming back to the x1 35i for its price point, utility, snow capabilites, good highway mileage for road trips, and great performance. I'm not sure what I'll end up doing, but I understand where you are coming from.
Fx50 is what 60000 dollars you can't compare that to a 35000 car. I had the FX 45 and while it had a nice interior and was fast it got 12 mpg and really had no utility due to the shape.
Appreciate 0