View Single Post
      01-11-2014, 11:23 PM   #29
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

I did some pretty exhaustive research on tires and went with Dunlop Wintersport 4D's. Basically they're the newest version of the original Dunlop M3 (which were replaced by their 3D line, and now 4D line) winter performance tires. They come in RFT but I went with go-flats for my own preference. They're newer to the US but in the UK and EU they're typically at the very top of tests except for deep snow but I'm fine with that trade off to get better dry, wet and ice traction.

I enjoy driving and over the winter have become very experienced with the setup. I live on the outskirts of town with lots of private roads through hills and I've pushed the car harder than many people ever will. The car does extremely well on ice and snow even with heavy gas (I often take off 2-5 times faster than another VW 4motion+all seasons and 4x4 trucks with winter tires when we tested stuff out). The DSC does a good job at cutting the engine when needed and restoring power quickly when it can as well as when you do get the car in an understeer situation the DSC makes it extremely easy to get it back in line. I was surprised many times when I hit the gas and turned hard and the car hits the breaks uniquely for each wheel does an amazing job at trying to get you going where the wheels is directing. A few times it pretty much dead stopped the car in order to follow the path I was giving via the steering wheel which I admire over potentially running off the road or hitting something if I was actually trying to avoid sliding and making a wider turn than desired. Also, cutting between lanes where there is 3-5 inches of slush/snow/ice built up is very smooth and the car doesn't become unstable like I've always gotten in other cars. I'm not sure if it's DSC or the tires but it's pretty amazing.

Overall a good setup, though I did tire rack and after 3 balances, even on road force machines, there's still a bounce between 52mph and 63mph depending on how the wheels are balanced. Everyone is just claiming aftermarket wheels are never as good as OEM -- although I don't fully believe this it appears it's true with tire racks house brand of wheels.
Appreciate 0