View Single Post
      04-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #20
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
edx1, I agree with you fully. Coming from a family with garages filled with ford sync equipped cars, I've come to love the simplicity of my undistracting radio. I even find back up cameras harder to use than turning my head, placing my right hand on the back of the passenger seat and actually looking out the back window and using mirrors to reverse. I don't think the head unit is ever going away, it's just going to become more distracting for drivers and will probably start to get the ban axe as more governing officials realise how much like texting, they can be dangerous. I've driven both a car with the iDrive and one without, and as far as complexity, the regular radio seems easier to use since the next station is a push button away. But, on the other hand, there is significantly more residual value to a vehicle with more option during resale (which may or may not happen). As other have stated above, people will expect nav and a screen to look at when they go to buy a used car in say 2017. This is the only option on the car I'm looking at possibly not getting. It's going to be MY car afterall, and if I have no use for nav then I should not get it. In 4 years though, it may become somebody else's car and maybe they will have to have nav. I'm really stuck on this one.

So far my build is going to be;

2014 X1 xDrive28i, Sportline, Black Sapphire, Black Nevada, Premium, Executive, Lights, Sirius, Lumbar support.

Adding nav is $2200 cdn, and if I wanted the back up camera, I'd have to toss in another $900. It's hard for me to justify a crappy camera at the cost of $3100.
Appreciate 0