Need your input on 2012 X1 2.0T issue:
- We have roughly 25 000 KM of problem free driving with our X1.
- As of a few weeks ago, after 10 to 15 minutes of driving. An easily audible metal / grinding or friction sound can be heard.
- Here is the interesting part... The noise seems to vanish under acceleration. As soon as we leave off the gas a bit or even if we place the transmission in neutral (while rolling) the noise resumes.
- Braking (hard and soft) does not affect the noise so I am not suspecting a brake-related issue.
- Turning left or right (hard and mild) does not affect the noise.
- The noise seems very equal throughout the cabin.
Our dealership, Park Ave BMW on the South Shore of Montreal is not very keen on solving non-catastrophic problems on cars... they pretty much told my wife to come back when its more broken... no diagnostic done.
Here are some theories:
- X-Drive rear diff issue or transfer case.
- Exhaust piece vibration (would explain why the noise vanishes under load).
Any ideas or troubleshooting steps would help.