Here's my timeline for my X1 28i xDrive order:
1. Sept 3rd (labor day) - Ordered car, but most likely the order took place on the 4th.
2. No contact for about 3 weeks until I emailed the dealer. They got back to me promptly and let me know that I had a production number and date.
3. Sept 24th - Car went into production.
4. Sept 28th - Car finished production and has left the plant.
5. Oct 7th - Ship leaves Bremerhaven.
The ship is projected to arrive at Port Hueneme on the west coast on Oct. 31st. The wait has been pretty brutal and still seems so far away. When it's all said and done, and allowing for a week after the ship docks, it will have been 9 weeks from order to the delivery to the dealer or possibly me.
By the way, this will be my first BMW and I've found this forum really helpful! It also helps with the long wait. This seems like a great community!