View Single Post
      04-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #16
WiredRacing
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1 28i

11.3L/100km right now... usually dropping .1 on each 200km round trip on the highway. But it's that high to begin with due to a lot of short city driving trips.

Pure HWY trips at 120km/h were around 8.5

Problem is (depends on where you live, but in the GTA) people drive 120 'minimum' on the highway. That's going to be 20% worse fuel economy out of the box. US cars I think are tuned to 55mph... which we are not driving here along the Trans Canada, across the country. Even Atlantic Canada's main highways are now 110km/h limits (which they drive, but that's still above the testing conditions).

This was all painfully obvious to me when I had an 08 Honda Fit and was not getting anywhere near the 6.5 combined. I was lucky on a pure hwy trip to get below 8 until I hit up cottage country (twisty roads with 70/80km/h limits) where I was probably averaging about 90km/h and suddenly I hit a high 6.

Blame modern multi-lane highways like the 407 where you can set the cruise and not worry about traffic. It's a pay off, your time for your fuel economy.
Appreciate 0